Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Continuation of "Where it's White and Cold"

There are girls in our orphanage who are “girly-girls” with lots of a make-up and stylish clothes. There are girls we call “mad girls”, the ones who get mad at the adults, teachers, kids, and with this negative attitude they complain. The third kind of girls are the “bad girls” and they are the ones who smoke, cut themselves, hang out with bad boys, and break the rules (Masha is one of those). The last ones are the “tomboys”, they mostly hang out with guys, they usually have a sibling to take care of in the orphanage, and they do well in school but they still get in a lot of trouble because they don’t believe in things that they are being taught. Those are the names we categorize girls in the orphanage. People call me “tomboy” and I’m fine with it. Most “girly-girls” are jealous of the “bad girls”, because the “bad girls” are the ones who have more fun hanging out with guys and are the best at stealing so they have more things.  
            The “girly-girls” are the ones that are talking to Sasha right now. Lena kneels down, picks up a handful of fluffy snow, makes a “snowball” (which looked nothing like a snowball, because the snow was too fluffy and Lena only picked up a small amount with her small hand), and throws it at Sasha. I bet Sasha could see who threw it from his peripheral vision, he probably could tell who threw it by the way the “snowball” was thrown, because he turns around, puts his hand on the shoulder that got hit, and in this dramatic way falls to the ground. I roll my eyes, while Lena runs up to him.
            “You killed him, Len.” I tell her.
            She grabs snow and rubs it on Sasha’s face, “That should wake him up.”
            Sasha doesn’t budge and the “girly-girls” come closer. I look around. There were kids walking our way, some go around us, but some stop and watch. Most of the kids are already way ahead. It makes me nervous because I want to meet up with Masha and Jenia.
            I hear “girly-girls” giggling and it brings my attention back to Lena. She is untying Sasha’s scarf. Somebody yells “it’s not like the scarf is killing him!” and I turn around to give that somebody a mean face that says Don’t-Mess-With-My-Sister-She’s-Only-Seven.
            “Len, let’s go, he’ll wake up once we leave, okay?” I say, knowing she’s not going to listen to me.
            “No”, she answers. Who called it! She pats Sasha’s face with the scarf.
            “I’m serious, we need to…” I started, but Lena goes, “Make him alive!” Geez, demanding much. What am I, a god or something?
            “No, do you want to see…” I began.
            “Maybe somebody should give him a kiss.” Ira pointed out.  Leave it up to a “girly-girl” to a) interrupt me so rudely (what is this, Interrupt-Tania-Day?), and b) bring up something from fairy tales.
            I look from her to Sasha. He still hasn’t moved an inch. I’m beginning to wonder if Lena’s lame snowball really did knock him out. Ira steps closer to him and I block her way and say,
            “I know what will make him realize that he is wasting our time”. Then I swish saliva in my mouth so he could hear that I’m about to spit on him and then I spit. My spit landed near him, but like I planned, didn’t touch him.
I shrug my shoulders and say “it’s the thought that counts”
 Everybody laughs but Sasha doesn’t move.  Lena claps her mittens. Ira pushes me aside, sits on her knees and announces,
            “I’m going to kiss him”. All the girly-girls giggle again and cheer for her.
            Alright, I think I want to see this. I know he won’t let her kiss him. Ira is the worst girly-girl of all the girly-girls and he will not be happy when his friends found out that Ira kissed him (or that he got knocked out from Lena’s snowball, for that matter).
            Sasha’s eyebrows come together for a brief second. I see it and smile. He is not really knocked out, he’s just enjoying the attention.  Lena doesn’t see it and still thinks that the kiss will wake him up. She jumps with her hangs clasped together.  Ira’s pink hat falls on her forehead as she get’s closer to Sasha’s face. Her eyes closed and her long, blond eye-lashes fall on her cheeks as she gets two more inches closer. The kids around hold their breath and smile silently. I’m surprised that they are still standing here; I’m getting cold from standing for so long. I guess this will be juicy gossip for them to spread later. Ira opens her eyes a little and places her hand on Sasha’s cheek. Sasha twitches. I smile bigger. What is he going to do? I’m surprised he is holding out this long.
            When Ira’s lips almost touch Sasha’s, all of the sudden he opens his eyes and yells,
            “Boo!”
            Ira screams and jumps up and runs. All the girly girls follow her, screaming. Kids are laughing around me, including Sasha who stood up. Lena hugs him,
            “He’s alive, he’s alive!” she squeals with happiness. He starts tickling her and she runs back to me.
            “I knew you were going to do something like that. I’m surprised you didn’t smile.” I say to Sasha, laughing. He can’t stop laughing, so I continue “You were just laying there and I really thought that you maybe died, but then your huge eye brows moved.”
            “Yeah right! You wanted to kiss me, didn’t you?” Sasha finally says.
            “Oh. Totally. You had your eyes closed so you didn’t see me when I pushed Ira out of my way., I say and start laughing again. Lena laughs too, even though she probably doesn’t understand what the heck we’re talking about.  We stood there laughing, as the other kids started walking away. Then, Sasha picks Lena up and throws her on his back. He pulls my hat down to my eyes again and says,
            “And my eye-brows aren’t huge”
            I push my hat away from my eyes, still sort of laughing, and follow Sasha’s foot steps. Most kids were already in the forest. After laughing, it doesn’t bother me anymore that I might not find Masha and Jenia. So, I just follow Sasha with Lena on his back, into the forest.      

           

No comments:

Post a Comment