Saturday, October 23, 2010

Continuation of “Where it’s White and Cold”


            I guess I fell asleep again, because the next thing I hear is “Waking time!” of a thunderous, stern voice. Wow, I fell asleep in the middle of thinking of Lena’s nightmares. That’s first. I yawned sleepily, ignoring another “Waking time!” This day has to be a good one, I told myself. A good day starts with a smile. I heard that from the cafeteria ladies once when our group was assign to do dishes. So, I smile and sit up. I feel my short brown hair with my hands and as always on one side of my head the hair are sticking up. Unlike Lena, I sleep on either left or right side. This time it was the right and so the right side of my head is flat. But it’s not like a care what I look like. Actually, I never do anymore. My group is mostly made up of guys and they pay attention more to girl who can steal and ran fast. Our orphanage has mostly girls but somehow our group ended up with mostly guy. Cool guys, who are my friends.
            At breakfast, in the kitchen, I find Lena already finishing up her casha, with noisy little kids all around her. She’s small but eats so much. Some days though when she feels sick, you can’t get her to even drink. She goes off and on. It bothers me.  I wish she just ate normal everyday. But, she doesn’t and I can’t really do anything about that. Thankfully, she’s at the stage when she eats a lot more than needed for her size. It makes me happy to know that her stomach is filling up when I see her put spoon by spoon in her mouth.
            She looks up at me with her green eyes looking tired. I smile, because on the corner’s of her mouth there’s milk stains.  She smiles back and goes back to eating. I feel like walking up and hugging her, but my stomach rumbles and I head to my sit. I can hug her after breakfast. Masha, Jenia, Looda, Sashka, and Seroyja, were already sitting at the table busy with eating. We never talk during breakfasts because everybody is tired and hungry. So, we just nod.  Jenia and Seroyja wave to me. I sit down and eat my breakfast fast because I remember that after this we are going sledding and I need energy. I don’t even taste it. Today we have pshannia casha which is my favorite one but I’m behind everybody already so I need to eat quickly.
            Soon Masha is done with her bowl and gets up to take it to the washing room. Jenia follows her, even though he’s not done with his food. After dropping off their bowls they both go to the living room with other kids that are done eating and sit down on the couch. Masha starts talking. Something about Olga and how to not trust her. I listen with my mouth full, but soon Masha has to shut up because Vladimera starts talking to us. She’s one of the “take-care” ladies during the day. She has a figure of a model with tall and skinny legs. Her face is like one of those I see in one of the magazines Kolia brings in to us from his work. She has long face with full lips and high check bones. She wears her black hair on a short pony-tail. Every girl hates her in our orphanage. She’s a magnet even though she’s in her twenties and the guys here aren’t even eighteen yet. She got assigned our group…which has the most guys. I bet they think she can get them to do anything she wants, like to wash clothes and hang them outside. She has a boyfriend which doesn’t surprise anybody. He drops her off at the orphanage every morning and leaves his smell of some expensive cologne. Of course, all the girls like him.
            “We’re going in the forest this morning to sled”, she says now. As if we didn’t know that already. Why do they have to say it every morning? If they had new information, say that we are going to the circus and it’s free to walk around anywhere we want, then they can tell us. But, seriously, you don’t have to repeat same words every morning. I looked at Masha who was making a face at me and smiles. Lena was still eating…third bowl.
             


No comments:

Post a Comment