Sunday, November 7, 2010

The ending of "Where it's White and Cold"

I get my sign when I hear a rough “You better give me your cardboard or it’s your head.” Masha. I take Lena’s hand in mine. There she is. Taking the cardboard from a boy who looks like he is about to pee his pants. I roll my eyes, feeling sorry for the guy. Lena saw her too and started jumping in place.
            “Masha! Let’s go slide with Masha! Let’s go!” she cried.  
            Masha hears Lena and turns her head towards us. I wave. She turns back to the boy and tells him to get lost, and then she strides towards us. She is smiling at Lena like she is going to eat her or something. Even though Lena sees Masha being mean to other kids, she trusts her. I guess its cause she sees me trusting Masha. I shouldn’t do that too much anyways.
            “Hey! Give me her!” Masha stands across from Lena and me. Lena lets go of my hand and hugs Masha around her waist.  
            “Hey, Lennok. Are you cold?” Masha picks Lena up in her arms.
            I smile as I watch Lena shake her head and them talking quietly. I’m glad Lena makes Masha smile. There are not a lot of people who make Masha smile. Of course, Lena with her green, bright eyes and dancing curls makes a lot of people smile. But, Masha doesn’t give in to people as much as she trusts Lena. She gives Lena the kind of attention that Lena needs. I don’t know if it’s because of me. I like to think that it is because Lena is cute and Masha actually has a heart, not because I’m Lena’s sister and she feels obligated to like Lena. You never know with Masha, though. But, when I see her talking quietly to Lena like she’s doing now, I believe she is being sincere. The way she grabs Lena by her shoulders and intensely in her eyes, telling her to be a good girl and beat up everybody who stand in her way. The way she touches her nose, playfully, with her finger tip and makes Lena giggle.
            “Tania, you can go play I can take care of her.” Masha says, still looking at Lena.
            “Thanks but no thanks.” I answer, folding my arms. I know she is being nice (which to most people she is not), but with today’s new snow, I want Lena by my side.
            She looks at me with shocked look on her face, “Why? Jenia is going to be with me.”
            I’m thinking how she and Jenia have been spending too much time together. They’re probably going out. This is a problem. What if they take Lena, but are too involved with each other to pay attention to her? Usually, they very good at bringing Lena safely back to me. Masha is definitely the kind of girl nobody wants to mess with, so Lena doesn’t get bullied. Jenia is huge and whenever Lena falls or get’s hurt, he just picks her up and makes her feel better. I’ve watched them play with her before, just to see if Lena is okay. I don’t watch them anymore. But, I did notice how much more they flirt with each other now. I can’t let Lena be with them.
            “No, it’s fine. I don’t think I’ll be playing with anyone today anyways.” I tell Masha.
            She looks at me, like, Really-I-Don’t-Think-So. Lena is looking from me to Masha back and forth as we talk. I could tell she wants to go sledding. But with who? Before I could bear her to it, Masha turns to Lena,
            “Who do you want to go sledding with, Sweetie Pie?” she asks her. I raise my eye-brow. It was really unnecessary for her to stick the “Sweetie pie” part in there.
            Lena looks at me, her green eyes pleading me to say something, to decide for her. But I stay quiet, because I can’t decide for her. Well, I can, but we all know what I’d choose.
            Instead I look at Masha and give her the I-Told-You-This-Wouldn’t-Work glare. She sticks her tongue at me puts Lena down. And at the very same time, we take Lena’s both hands. Masha and I look at each other. Lena looks at both of her hands. Poor girl. I don’t see why it’s so important for Masha to take Lena today. I guess she is always like this when it comes to her thinking that I should go have fun. Or when it comes to her showing off to Jenia how she can get good with kids?
            “Why are we making such a big deal…” I start and then see that Masha is not paying any attention. Instead looking at something to her left and smiling. I follow her eyes and see Jenia.
            Remember how I said that Sasha has good build? Well, Jenia has an even better build. I’m not going to start describing his build, but he does have one of those six packs and tan skin. When a girl sees Sasha, they want to talk to his and see his flirt. When they see Jenia, all they want to do is stare. Plus, he is like Masha; it’s too risky to communicate with him. Maybe he and Masha are meant to be. Not only are they the same way as far as personality and morals go, but also they both look like movie stars (um, the movie star in the orphanage…not in the real world, because I’m pretty sure real world stars do not have yellow teeth). Jenia has jet black hair that look naturally messy, chocolate brown eyes that always look dangerous, olive skin, and this deep voice.
            “What do I see? Are we fighting over Lennok? Again?” he looks at us as he comes closer. His voice has this drag to it, like he’s enjoying every word he is saying.
            “Aren’t you cold?” Masha actually stands a little straighter. I’m guessing that’s for looking more confident.
            “I asked you a question first”, he gives her his crooked smile.
            Masha rolls her eyes, trying to stay cool and says “No, seriously”.
            But it was a dumb question for her to ask because Jenia never has a shooba (those fluffy, big coats that smart people wear when it’s below zero outside) or mittens on. He says he always get’s too hot after sliding after a while. He doesn’t care how many times Vladimera orders him to find his shooba.  She doesn’t bother him that much though, because nobody wants to mess with Jenia. And couldn’t Masha see the sweat that is on Jenia’s neck and part of his sweater?   
            Masha looks at me for a moment and then says “Give me a sec”. She let’s go of Lena’s hand and walks to Jenia. They put their arms around each other and kiss. My eyes widen even though I’m not that surprised. Kids start to gather a little and I cover Lena’s eyes. I was right. They can’t keep Lena. I look at people who gathered. There are only two girls who look sickened and three guys who are laughing. I glare at the guys to shut them up because they are so not allowed to laugh at my friends. One of them says,
            “What? You don’t think this is funny? They are going to get in trouble.”
            No, not really. I don’t really think that’s funny. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but seeing friends getting separated because they got in trouble together, does not make me laugh. I wait for Masha and Jenia to be done, looking around make sure no ladies are round. Masha finally turns away from Sasha, I uncover Lena’s eyes.
            “That was a lovely show, thank you, I’m going to go now” I say, glaring at Masha and turning around to go.
            She grabs Lena’s hand and says “Wait, don’t you want to go play?”
            Is she freaking kidding me? Was she trying to be funny?
            “No” I answer her stubbornly.
            “And why not?”
            “You just showed me why not.”
            “You didn’t have to watch.”
            “That’s not the point. The point is that I’m not letting you and Jenia play with Lena if you two are going to make-out the whole time”
            “We are not going to!”
            “How do I know that? You just proved me that you are going to.”
            “No, that was only one time!”
            “Well, one time was…”
            “You GUYS! Stop arguing!” Jenia breaks in. Oh sure, he decided to interrupt when I was speaking.
            “…enough.” I finished anyways.
            Jenia walks over to Masha and talks to her quietly. I look at Lena and was about to ask her if she was okay, but I saw that she had a smile on her face. That makes me relax and smile a little too.
            “You think this is funny” I pinch her red cheeks.
            She giggles, “They kissed” and points at Jenia and Masha.
            I roll my eyes “Yep, they did.” I pick her up.
            “Can we all slide together today like that one time, remember? You were so happy! Remember, Tania? Please?” she says fast and make a puppy face.
            I think about that. And as I’m thinking about it, Jenia comes over to me.
            “Why don’t we all just slide together? Mashka says she’d be fine with that.”
            I look at Lena who still has a puppy face on and then smile at Jenia and answer,
            “Well, tell that Mashka, that I am fine with that also”
            Masha passes by me, “I knew you’d say yes”, then she winks at Lena who happily says to Masha “You kissed him!”
            Then the four of us meet the steep hill. Get ready, leg muscle, you are about to climb that hill.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment